About Family Health Teams
Family Health Team's (FHTs) are an approach to primary health care that brings together different health care providers to co-ordinate the best patient care possible for you - the patient. FHTs usually consist of doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners and other health care professionals who work collaboratively, each using their experience and skills so you receive the best care, when you need it, as close to home as possible.
FHTs are a key component of the Ontario government's plan to build a health care system that delivers on three priorities - keeping Ontarians healthy, reducing wait times and providing better access to clinicians.
FHTs strive to:
- Provide primary health care, chronic disease management and self-help tools to improve health
- Provide better access to care, closer to home
- Work as a team to keep patients healthy
- Provide extended hrs & after hrs access to a registered nurse through the Telephone Health Advisory Service
- Help patients navigate their way through the health care system